If you haven’t heard about the trending ‘Cabbage Soup Diet’ for effective weight loss, then you are probably living under a rock. The cabbage soup diet is said to have originated during the 1980s. However, it has gained immense popularity amongst the masses and Gen Z now.
The diet is designed for a week, and as the name suggests, you will have to survive on the cabbage soup along with some fruits or vegetables. This is a highly low-calorie diet and is said to be done for 7 days. You must stop the diet after you complete 7 days.
A point to be noted is that there is no specific or particular study that shows the effectiveness of this popular diet. In simple words, during this diet, you will eat nothing but homemade cabbage soup.
Each day, you can also have 1–2 other foods, such as skim milk, plenty of fruit, or vegetables. As the diet is low-calorie, you are more likely to lose weight.
However, the weight loss won’t last long, as you will gain weight as soon as you stop the diet.
If you are looking for a quick and easier way to lose those extra pounds before your wedding, then this diet might be the perfect one.
The Cabbage Soup Recipe
This diet is known for its rapid weight-loss results and is often used as a short-term solution before a big event or vacation. One of the key components of this diet is the cabbage soup itself. Here’s a simple recipe to help you get started:
- 1 head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 tomatoes, diced
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 package of mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, carrots, mushroom, and celery. Sauté until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, and basil. Cook for another minute.
- Add the shredded cabbage, tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is soft.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Make a big batch of this cabbage soup and store it in the refrigerator for the week. It will be your go-to meal during the Cabbage Soup Diet.
Rules of the Cabbage soup Diet
Before diving into the Cabbage Soup Diet, it’s important to understand the rules that come with it. This diet is designed to be followed for a short period of time, usually one week. Here are some key rules to keep in mind:
- No added fats: During the Cabbage Soup Diet, it’s important to avoid any added fats such as butter, oil, or dressings. Stick to low-fat and low-calorie options.
- Limited protein: While the cabbage soup is the main component of this diet, you can also have some protein sources like lean meat, fish, or tofu. However, keep the portions small and avoid high-fat options.
- Lots of water: Staying hydrated is crucial during the Cabbage Soup Diet. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day to flush out toxins and keep your body functioning properly.
- Variety of fruits and vegetables: Along with the cabbage soup, you can consume a variety of fruits and vegetables. These will provide essential nutrients and fiber while keeping you feeling satisfied.
- No alcohol or sugary drinks: Alcohol and sugary beverages are high in calories and can hinder your weight loss progress. Stick to water, herbal tea, or unsweetened beverages.
By following these rules, you can maximize the effectiveness of the Cabbage Soup Diet and achieve your weight loss goals.
Who Should and Shouldn’t Follow the Cabbage Soup Diet for Weight Loss?
The Cabbage Soup Diet may seem appealing for its quick results, but it’s important to consider if it’s suitable for you. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
Who should try the Cabbage Soup Diet?
- Individuals looking for short-term weight loss before a big event or vacation.
- People who have a significant amount of weight to lose and need a kick-start.
- Those who are motivated and committed to following a strict diet plan.
Who shouldn’t try the Cabbage Soup Diet?
- Individuals with certain medical conditions or dietary restrictions should consult with a healthcare professional before starting this diet.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid this diet, as it may not provide sufficient nutrients for both the mother and the baby.
- People with a history of eating disorders or disordered eating patterns should avoid this diet, as it may promote an unhealthy relationship with food.
Always listen to your body and prioritize your health when considering any weight-loss plan. It’s important to find a diet that is sustainable and promotes long-term health rather than just focusing on rapid weight loss.
Cabbage Soup Diet Plan: Foods to Eat and Foods to Avoid
The Cabbage Soup Diet Plan is relatively straightforward. Here’s a breakdown of the foods to eat and avoid during this diet:
Foods to eat:
- Cabbage soup (of course!)
- Fruits like apples, oranges, berries, and melons
- Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and kale
- Lean proteins like chicken breast, fish, and tofu (in small portions)
- Brown rice or quinoa (in moderation)
- Herbal tea, water, and unsweetened beverages
Foods to avoid:
- High-fat foods like butter, oils, and fried foods
- Sugary snacks and desserts
- White bread, pasta, and refined grains
- Alcohol and sugary drinks
- Full-fat dairy products
Remember, the Cabbage Soup Diet is a short-term solution and should not be followed for an extended period of time. It’s important to reintroduce a balanced and healthy diet after completing this plan to maintain your weight loss and overall well-being.
Benefits of Cabbage Soup Diet Plan
While the Cabbage Soup Diet is not meant for long-term weight loss, it does offer some benefits. Here are a few advantages to trying this diet plan:
1. Rapid weight loss: The Cabbage Soup Diet is known for its quick results. By following this plan strictly, you can expect to lose several pounds in just one week. This can be a great motivator for individuals who are looking to jumpstart their weight-loss journey.
2. Increased vegetable intake: The Cabbage Soup Diet encourages the consumption of a variety of vegetables. This can help increase your intake of important vitamins, minerals, and fiber. By incorporating more vegetables into your diet, you’ll be supporting your overall health and well-being.
3. Simple and affordable: The ingredients for the cabbage soup are inexpensive and readily available. This makes the Cabbage Soup Diet a budget-friendly option for those looking to lose weight without breaking the bank. Additionally, the simplicity of the diet plan makes it easy to follow and eliminates the need for complicated meal prep.
4. Cleansing effect: The high water content in the cabbage soup, along with the abundance of fruits and vegetables, can have a cleansing effect on the body. This can help flush out toxins and promote better digestion. However, it’s important to remember that the Cabbage Soup Diet should not be used as a long-term detox solution.
Related: 15 Healthy Snacks For Weight Loss
In conclusion, the Cabbage Soup Diet can be an effective tool for rapid weight loss when followed correctly. However, it’s important to approach this diet with caution and consider your individual circumstances. Always prioritize your health and consult with a healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your diet.