If you’re looking for a natural and effective way to exfoliate your skin and promote a healthy glow, look no further than a DIY Himalayan salt scrub. This easy-to-make scrub is made with fine pink Himalayan sea salt, nourishing coconut oil, and aromatic essential oils. Not only does it buff away dead skin cells, but it also leaves your skin feeling silky smooth and moisturized. In this comprehensive guide, I will guide you on how to make a detoxifying Himalayan salt scrub and explore its benefits for the skin, the ingredients and supplies needed, essential oil blends, step-by-step instructions on how to make the scrub, and tips for usage and storage.
Benefits of Himalayan Salt for the Skin
Himalayan salt, mined from the foothills of the Himalayas, is known for its purity and richness in minerals and trace elements. This natural salt is minimally processed, which means it retains most of its original nutrients that can benefit the skin. Here are some of the potential benefits of using a Himalayan salt scrub:
Salt is an excellent exfoliator that can help remove dead skin cells and promote circulation. By incorporating a Himalayan salt scrub into your skincare routine, you can enjoy softer and smoother skin.
Himalayan salt contains over 80 minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and iron, which may provide nourishment to the skin. While further research is needed to confirm these benefits, using a salt scrub can potentially enhance the overall health of your skin.
Coconut oil, a key ingredient in the scrub, is deeply hydrating and helps lock moisture into the skin. By exfoliating with a Himalayan salt scrub, you can reap the benefits of both exfoliation and hydration.
Salt has natural antimicrobial properties, making it beneficial for treating acne and reducing irritation. The use of a Himalayan salt scrub can help keep your skin clear and reduce the appearance of blemishes.
Natural and Easy to Make
Making your own Himalayan salt scrub ensures that you’re using natural and skin-friendly ingredients. With just a few simple steps, you can create a luxurious scrub without any artificial fragrances or synthetic materials.
Requirements for DIY Himalayan Salt Scrub
Ingredients and Supplies
To make the best Himalayan salt scrub, you’ll need a handful of ingredients and supplies that are readily available. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup / 250 g / 8.8 oz fine pink Himalayan sea salt (exfoliator)
- 1/3 cup / 70 g / 2.5 oz fractionated coconut oil (moisturizer, can substitute for another liquid oil)
- 3 tbsp / 15 g / 0.5 oz Olivem 1000 (emulsifier)
- Up to 60 drops / 4 g / 0.14 oz essential oils (natural scent, see scent ideas below)
- Vitamin E: 1/2 tsp or the content of 3 vitamin E capsules (antioxidant and skin nourisher)
- D-Panthenol: 1/2 tsp (natural moisturizer)
- Allantoin: 1 to 2 tsp (skin soother and anti-irritant)
- Zinc oxide: 1 tsp (beneficial for oily, blemish-prone skin)
- Measuring cups or digital scale
- Small glass jar for melting the Olivem
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Spoon for mixing the scrub
- Airtight storage jar
Essential Oil Blends for Himalayan Scrub
Not only do essential oils add a beautiful scent to your homemade salt scrub, but they also offer additional skincare benefits. Here are six essential oil blends you can try:
- Soothing Blend: 30 drops blue tansy + 12 drops palmarosa + 5 drops lavender
- Fresh Blend: 25 drops steam-distilled lime + 12 drops peppermint + 8 drops lemongrass
- Floral Blend: 30 drops ylang ylang + 15 drops geranium + 7 drops vetiver
- Sweet Blend: 20 drops Peru Balsam + 12 drops massoia bark + 5 drops star anise
- Elegant Blend: 18 drops bergamot + 10 drops rose absolute + 7 drops sweet orange + 4 drops patchouli
- Woodsy Blend: 20 drops cedarwood + 12 drops Scots pine + 7 drops spearmint
Feel free to experiment with different essential oil combinations or create your own custom scent. Just remember to keep the usage rate between 1% to 2% and choose oils that agree with your skin.
How to Make a Detoxifying Himalayan Salt Scrub?
Making a Himalayan salt scrub is a simple and enjoyable process. Follow these step-by-step instructions to create your own luxurious scrub:
Step 1: Melt Olivem 1000
In a small glass jar, combine the fractionated coconut oil and Olivem flakes. Place the jar in a small saucepan filled with water to create a gentle water bath. Heat the water until the Olivem 1000 is fully melted.
Step 2: Add Scent
Remove the jar from the water bath and dry the sides with a towel to prevent any water from entering. Add your chosen essential oils to the mixture and stir well to combine.
Step 3: Mix the Body Scrub
In a medium mixing bowl, add the fine pink Himalayan sea salt. Pour the coconut oil and Olivem mixture over the salt. Use a spoon to thoroughly mix the ingredients until the salt is moistened and everything is well combined.
Step 4: Package and Store
Transfer the Himalayan salt body scrub into an airtight storage jar. Seal the container tightly to prevent any moisture from entering. Consider decorating the jar with our printable labels for a personalized touch.
How to Use a Himalayan Salt Body Scrub
To get the most out of your Himalayan salt scrub, follow these simple steps for smooth and radiant skin:
- Begin by letting warm water run over your skin for 5 to 10 minutes. This will help soften the skin and open up the pores.
- Pause the water and take a small amount of the scrub (approximately 1/4 cup) and apply it all over your body, starting from your feet and working your way up to your neck.
- Gently massage the scrub into your wet skin using circular motions and gentle pressure. Pay extra attention to rough areas like knees, elbows, and feet.
- Rinse off the scrub thoroughly with warm water.
- Pat your skin dry and follow up with a nourishing body oil, lotion, or body butter to lock in moisture.
Tips for Using a Himalayan Salt Scrub
Here are some additional tips to help you get the most out of your Himalayan salt scrub:
- Use a spoon or cosmetic spatula to remove the scrub from the storage jar to prevent water from entering and potentially spoiling the product.
- Apply the scrub in the shower or during a bath for easy cleanup.
- Never apply the scrub to dry skin. It’s best to use it on wet skin for a gentler exfoliation.
- If you have sensitive skin, use the scrub only once a week to avoid over-exfoliation.
- Use the scrub 2 to 3 times per week to maintain soft and glowing skin.
Frequently Asked Questions about Himalayan Salt Scrubs
Can I use coarse Himalayan salt?
No, coarse Himalayan salt is too harsh for use as a skin exfoliant. The large granule size can be abrasive and potentially cause damage to your skin. If you only have coarse salt, you can grind it in a blender, coffee grinder, or NutriBullet to create a finer powder.
Can I substitute another type of salt?
Yes, you can substitute pink Himalayan salt with sea salt, table salt, or kosher salt. The choice of salt will not significantly impact the overall effectiveness of the scrub.
Can I make this scrub with sugar instead of salt?
Certainly! If you prefer using sugar as an exfoliant, you can swap out the salt with an equal amount of granulated sugar. Sugar scrubs offer similar exfoliating benefits and can be a gentler option for those with sensitive skin.
Can I use regular coconut oil instead of fractionated coconut oil?
While you can use regular coconut oil, it’s best to use fractionated coconut oil for this scrub. Fractionated coconut oil remains liquid at room temperature, ensuring a smooth and non-greasy texture for your scrub. Regular coconut oil may solidify, making it harder to work with and potentially leaving an oily residue on the skin.
Storage Instructions and Shelf Life
To ensure the longevity of your Himalayan salt scrub, follow these storage instructions:
- Use a mason jar or a glass flip-top jar for storing your scrub. These containers provide an airtight seal, preventing moisture from entering.
- Store the scrub in a dry and cool location, away from direct sunlight. Exposure to sunlight can lead to oxidation and a potential change in the scent of the essential oils.
- When stored properly, your homemade Himalayan salt scrub can last up to 2 years. The salt itself never expires, and fractionated coconut oil is good for 2 to 3 years. However, the scent of the essential oils may fade over time. You can always refresh the scent by adding a few drops of new oils.
Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to indulge in a little self-care and create your own detoxifying Himalayan salt scrub. Enjoy the luxurious feeling of smooth and radiant skin while knowing that you’re using natural and nourishing ingredients. So go ahead, treat yourself to a spa-like experience and embrace the power of Himalayan salt for your skincare routine.