One of the worst nightmares in anyone’s beauty regimen is the onset of whiteheads. Generally, whiteheads are formed due to clogged pores. A whitehead is a type of acne that forms when dead skin cells, oil, and bacteria become trapped within one of the pores of your skin. Increased production in oil glands of the skin, causes clogged pores, which is a cause of whiteheads. The onset of whiteheads can also be due to hormonal changes in a woman’s body due to various stages like puberty, pregnancy or menstruation.that genetics also play a role in the development of different types of acne, including whiteheads.
Generally, the area of nose, chin, and nose are known as the T zone is the oiliest part of the face. Thereby, most of the whiteheads appear in that region.
1. A topical retinoid is the first-line treatment for whiteheads. However, topical retinoids take three months to see any effect. They should ideally be used every day. Retinoids work by several mechanisms, but, ultimately, they prevent the pore-clogging process.
2. In the case of inflammatory whiteheads, oral or topical antibiotics may be prescribed. That helps in the reduction of extra skin bacteria thereby reducing inflammation and redness.
3. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory properties, which help in clearing of whiteheads. Certain skincare items, such as cleansers, masks, and spot treatments, also contain tea tree oil.
4. Gentle exfoliation
Gentle exfoliation with any essential oil also helps in clearing off the whiteheads. It not only opens up clogged pores but also removes whiteheads thus making it less prone to the further onset of whiteheads.
5. Over the counter medication
Various creams, serums are available in the market which is most helpful in treating whiteheads.
Apart from the above ways, whiteheads can generally be avoided by following the below steps-
1. Avoid over-exfoliation.
2. Keel your hair oil-free, as oil from hair may block skin pores
3. Wear a sunscreen specifically designed for the face.
4. Use only lukewarm water for cleansing and bathing.
5. Wash your makeup off every night, if you wear it regularly.